I had meant to post this last January, but it has sat forgotten in my draft folder for a year. Since I do want it to have a permanent place on this blog, I thought I’d go ahead and post it a year late!
Ten years ago, in January of 2012 we began supporting the school in Carrefour Poy through sponsorship. As I look back on the past decade, I am in awe of all God has done in myself and at the school through this ministry, so I want to take a few moments to remember all He has done and to give Him praise!
Give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples.
1 Chronicles 16:8
- He connected two people from different countries and cultures with the same idea of supporting a school with a sponsorship program.
- He filled me with the passion and determination I needed to pursue this idea and overcome obstacles, in spite of my inexperience.
- He surrounded me with people who had more experience and knowledge than myself to guide, encourage, and help me along the way.
- He brought beloved friends into my life through this ministry who I never would have connected with or even met otherwise.
- He has inspired many people to generously entrust us with their financial blessings to support and improve the school in Carrefour Poy.
- He has filled me with a love for a different country and culture and her people.
- He saved a little village Christian school from shutting down thereby allowing the teachers to get paid, the children to receive an education, and the gospel to go forth in the village.
- He has provided the means to build more classrooms, add more grade levels, make improvements to the school, and add vocational training.
- He has given us the means to provide daily school meals.
- He has used the school as an outreach to the village community, helping with people’s temporal needs and sharing the love of Christ with the children and their families.
- He has grown this sponsorship program from a few sponsors supporting less than 20 students in January of 2012 to about 50 sponsors supporting 85 students today!
- He has strengthened and grown my faith as I have watched what He has done these last 10 years through this ministry.
This is just an overview and I could probably go on for 10 pages if I wanted to recount every little specific way I have seen God move during these years! What a kind, generous God He has shown himself to be. What a privilege to get to partner with Him in His work and to bring Him glory. What a joy it is to partner with each of our sponsors and to witness their love and care for these children.
To our sponsors I say thank you. God has used your generosity to work these miracles. Whether you began sponsoring in January 2012 or are one of the many who have joined us through the years, your support is very much appreciated. From my heart, “I thank God upon every remembrance of you.”
Pastor Gilbert wanted to add his thanks and share the important role the school plays in the community of Carrefour Poy: “I have seen many teenagers in Haiti initiate into gangs’ club while many of our school children are eager to continue their schooling. Parents and children testifies how much they benefit from our school: low and free scholarship, Bible instructions, etc. Remember our school is located in a very low class in our society; without our school, 95% would not attend school.” Thanks to your donations, these kids are given an alternative to joining a gang, the hope of Christ, and a foundation of education which can start them on a path out of poverty.
A year after writing this, I remain in awe of God and all He has done through this little ministry over the past 11 years. And I am so excited to share a new way we will be investing in the school in the near future!